QQI is the state agency responsible for the external quality assurance of further and higher education and training in Ireland.
- We set standards for QQI awards (qualifications)
- We assess the fitness of providers to offer QQI awards
- We validate programmes of education and training leading to QQI awards
- We award qualifications and issue certificates
- We maintain the statutory learner protection fund for learners enrolled in private education and training providers
- We issue quality assurance guidelines
- We approve providers’ quality assurance procedures
- We monitor and review providers
- We promote awareness and maintenance of academic integrity
- We award the International Education Mark to higher education and English language education providers
- We maintain the National Framework of Qualifications (NFQ) as a system relating different qualification levels to each other
- We maintain the Irish Register of Qualifications as a comprehensive database of all qualifications included in the NFQ
- We recognise awarding bodies and include their qualifications in the NFQ
- We monitor providers to ensure they offer learners access, transfer and progression opportunities
- We advise on the recognition of foreign qualifications in Ireland and of Irish qualifications abroad
- We consult, inform and collaborate with national and international stakeholders
- We conduct research and report on quality and qualifications in the tertiary education system
- We consult with learners and learner groups and involve them in carrying out our core functions
- We develop enhancement initiatives and host events to learn from and share best practice with stakeholders
We are committed to a vision of Ireland that offers diverse high-quality further and higher education opportunities, enabling learners to reach their full potential through achieving qualifications that are widely valued nationally and internationally.
We sustain public confidence in the quality, integrity and reputation of Ireland’s further and higher education providers and provide authoritative information on the diverse range of qualifications included in the National Framework of Qualifications.
Our approach to our own work and how we work with our partners is governed by clear values.
We believe we have a shared responsibility with others to ensure confidence in and continuous improvement of the quality of education and training. We believe that the attainment of our priorities and objectives is best pursued in a consultative, collaborative and inclusive manner with our diverse set of partners and providers. We value and respect partnership for mutual benefit.
We are committed to working with objectivity, transparency and sustainability. This underpins our decision-making and our policies, procedures and activities. These are evidence-based, informed by national and international good practice, authoritative and conducted with integrity in a manner which is openly transparent and engenders trust.
We are committed to making a difference to our partners, providers and our people. We value information, insight and impact – the successful pursuit of goals and objectives which culminate in impacting positively, confi dently and substantively on our operating environment.
We are a learning organisation. We are committed to innovation and excellence.