The National Framework of Qualifications was launched in 2003 as a ten-level system of knowledge, skill and competence for the recognition of all types of learning.
Following consultation with our key stakeholders, the Framework has been updated to reflect changes in recent years across the education and training landscape:
- Junior Cycle Reform
- The Technological Universities Act
- Institutes of Technology enabled to make their own awards
- The future inclusion of the awards of Listed Awarding Bodies in the Framework
- Development of Professional Award Type Descriptors at NFQ Levels 5-9
- The launch of the Irish Register of Qualifications
These changes will explain the changed relationships between different levels of the NFQ and different education and training awards. You can view the new NFQ here.