Approval for Cavan and Monaghan ETB from quality regulator
Cavan and Monaghan ETB has successfully completed an external quality review as part of checks conducted by Quality and Qualifications Ireland (QQI), the state agency responsible for the external quality assurance of further and higher education and training in Ireland.
A team of national and international experts, from education, industry and community development, conducted a comprehensive review of the effectiveness of Cavan and Monaghan ETB’s quality assurance systems, highlighting examples of good practice which were seen to deliver positive benefits for learners and staff, and making recommendations on areas for development in the coming years.
CMETB’s quality assurance processes and procedures were noted by the external team to present examples of good practice in action:
- the very positive relationships that CMETB has developed with community providers and third-level institutions
- its good relationships with employer representatives at a local level
- revising its governance structures to ensure increased involvement of stakeholders such as learners and staff;
- its effective recruitment and induction process
The external team identified the following areas for improvement for the CMETB:
- implementation of timely programme development to respond to industry needs;
- development of effective data management, analysis and KPIs to inform strategy;
- the need for better internal and external communications;
- the need to establish more consistency of experience for all learners across all centres;
- development of a policy and processes for Recognition of Prior Learning;
- better work placement practices to ensure consistent assessment feedback.
Through its first-ever comprehensive quality review of the further education and training provided by Ireland’s 16 education and training boards, QQI is assessing the effectiveness of further education and training within ETBs and helping to encourage a quality culture that prioritises the learner experience. Phase 1 of the review cycle has now been completed. Cavan and Monaghan ETB is the first from Phase 2 of the process to have its report published.